This post covers a portion of the area of Old Delhi just south of Chandni Chowk road, enclosed by Chandni Chowk and Katra Bariyan roads to the north, Nai Sadak to the east, Chawri Bazaar road to the south and Lal Kuan road to the west, with Ballimaran lane running through it. Ballimaran lane is one of several streets running north-south from Chandni Chowk road to Chawri Bazaar road.
General location of Ballimaran area
General sequence of areas photographed
Along Ballimaran Lane
The photographs are taken generally from south to north along Ballimaran lane. The southern part of this area, close to Chawri Bazaar road, is known as Charkhe Walan.
Around Ballimaran Area
The first few photos below have been taken in the northern part of the area, which is accessed from Chandni Chowk road instead of Ballimaran lane. There are still some haveli entrances, facades and courtyards intact in this area.
These photos below are of areas accessed from Ballimaran lane
Photos from further south in the area
Photos from a lane in the Jogiwara area which connects Ballimaran lane to Nai Sarak.
Nai Sadak (literally “new road”) was laid out by the British after 1857, connecting Chandni Chowk woth Chawri Bazaar road. Photos from along Nai Sadak.
Along Chawri Bazaar road
Chawri Bazaar road is another busy commercial street (with frequent cycle-ricksha traffic jams!) that connects Jami Masjid to Hauz Qazi Chowk. Photos taken in a general east-to-west sequence, starting from Jami Masjid.
Chawri Bazaar road and Jami Masjid