Both Dariba Kalan and Esplanade roads run north-south from Chandni Chowk road towards Jami Masjid. After 1857 the British tore down the buildings of the city to the east of Esplanade road to create, well, an esplanade around the Red Fort.
Portions of the city around Jami Masjid were also torn down, including just north of the mosque, which is why the southern ends of both Dariba and Esplanade lead to a more open area, demarcating the edge of the dense section of the old city.
General locations of Dariba Kalan and Esplanade
General sequence of areas photographed